Friday, 6 July 2012

Nightclub Access Campaign Success

I have won a campaign to make my local nightclub accessible.

In March I went to the Loft club in Kendal. It was my first visit to the venue in a year and on my previous visit the lift in the three floor venue had broken down. This time I was disappointed to discover that the lift was still was out of order and had now been bricked over.

My disappointment turned to anger when she was told by the bouncers that 'the club had no legal requirement to have a lift.' In spite of the dismissive attitude of the staff I decided to make the most of a bad situation and enjoyed the rest of her night out with friends.The next day, I contacted Trailblazers and my local MP, Tim Farron to challenge the club on their policy of not fixing the lift.

Trailblazers then passed the case on to the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign's partners, international law firm Hogan Lovells, which has resulted in representatives of the club confirming today that the lift is now back in full working order. I have also received a full written apology from the Loft nightclub.

I'm really pleased that this has now been sorted out as it is completely wrong that a company should disregard the access needs of any of its customers. I'd like to thank Hogan Lovells for taking on my case, I think their support has made all the difference. It's just such a shame that disabled people always have to fight to have the same opportunities as our non-disabled peers.

If you have been denied access to a building or a service and would like to challenge this, please do get in touch with Trailblazers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.